The main objectives of SASMO are to:
- Represent and further the interests of Medical Oncologists in the healthcare sector and to participate in and/or liaise with and/or make submissions to all relevant forums, which shall include, but are not limited to, representation at health sector industry bodies, government departments, legislative bodies and health sector stakeholder collaborations.
- Promote medical oncology and the interest of oncology patients in South Africa, through, amongst others, supporting and/or working with patient groups and/or cancer study groups.
- Hold at least one scientific meeting every two years, in the form of a congress/conference.
- Further all aspects of cancer research in South Africa.
- Provide a forum for discussion and the exchange and diffusion of information and ideas relating to neoplastic disease.
- Promote collaboration between specialists engaged in different fields of oncology, including the clinical and experimental field.
- Promote the care and treatment of patients with cancer.
- Further the teaching of medical oncology
Who Should Attend?
- Medical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Clinical and Radiation Oncologists
- Paediatric Oncologists
- Surgical oncologists
- Gynaecological oncologists
- Other Specialists with special interest in Oncology
- Medical officers and general practitioners working in the Oncology field
- Radiation therapists
- Medical physicists
- Oncology pharmacists
- Clinical trial co-ordinators
- Oncology nurses
- Oncology Social workers
- Sponsoring & exhibiting companies
- Registrars and fellows specialising in oncology field
- Trainee radiation therapists, medical physicists and oncology nurses
- Medical advisors and administration staff involved in authorisation process